Disinfecting Mats November 14, 2016 09:00

broken fingers
3/29/2006 3:26pm,
so yesterday i got to class a littler earlier than usual (bout an hour early) and decided to mop up the mats. a guy caught staff a week ago so we are all being extra careful.

here is what was used.
1. disinfectant (green stuff, MR. Clean)
2. some bleach
3. water (not a lot)

I figured the more disinfectant/bleach, the cleaner the mat.
it left the mat feeling rather griddy/greasy. what am i missing or doing wrong?
the mats are real nice, dont wanna ruin them, but dont wanna catch staff either!

any suggestions/comments/unescapable flames?

BSDaemon
3/29/2006 3:41pm,
1. It's not staff, it's staph... short for Staphylococcal

2. That slippery feeling is due to the base still present on the mats. It feels like this because it is is actually disolving part of your skin. Give those chemicals plenty of time to dry up so this doesn't happen.

3. Cleaning your mats should not be "being extra careful" this should be your standard operating procedure.
jnp
3/29/2006 4:00pm,
It's not a good idea to combine bleach with other chemicals as they can form toxic compounds. Ammonia and bleach combine to form a highly poisonous vapor IIRC. If you're already using a disinfectant, why are you also using bleach? Bleach is also a disinfectant, it's just one of the more wide spectrum disinfectants. IME, bleach is not good for mats, but your mileage may vary.
Zapruder
3/29/2006 4:00pm,
For the love of all things holly DONT USE BLEACH!! There are mat fungicides you can get from wrestling supply places, but I am a fan of simple green and bottled water ( if there si a high mineral content in the tap water that too can eat it away). That stuff works great, and if you were in boot camp, it will bring back such fond memories. Give 'er a try and let me know what you think.